Silicone Removal Center
“While training at hospitals in the Bronx in the early 2000s, I started to see a troubling pattern. Patients presenting to the ER with severe buttock pain with swelling, infection, and fevers. They were desperate for help. The hospital staff prescribed antibiotics and sent them on their way. Undoubtedly, they would return to the ER in a month or so with the same presentation. Again, they were given antibiotics and told there was nothing else to be done. And the cycle would go on and on…
Many women have fallen victim to illegal injectors and are hesitant to discuss it with their medical providers out of shame, fear of judgement, or fear that there is no solution.
I knew I had to find a way to help these patients who were so obviously suffering. As soon as I entered private practice, I created the Silicone Removal Center. I knew these patients needed somewhere to be heard, understood, and treated in a manner that is comprehensive, yields positive aesthetic outcomes, and above all puts safety first.”
What is Silicone
The term “Silicone” has become a broad term that relates to a foreign body substance that is injected into the body in a non-medical setting. This term Biopolymer is also often used to describe this substance. The true substantive makeup of these materials varies. Since these injections are performed in a non-medical setting and are often attempted to be removed in a non-medical setting, there is little definitive evidence of what the material makeup is, and what the consequences of exposure to this foreign body material are.
What we have seen to be true
- Silicone can travel within the body
- Silicone can cause chronic, recurrent inflammatory responses within the body
- Silicone can cause fat necrosis
- Non-sterile injections can cause infection and cellulitis
How it works
This procedure is performed in three stages
- Each stage is pre-authorized through a patient’s insurance policy (click here to learn more about the insurance policies we can work with)
- Performed in an in-patient hospital setting with several dedicated teams who specialize in this condition and are there to take care of you (immunology, pathology, physical therapy, nursing)
- The first two stages are performed back to back over the same in-patient stay (approximately three days)
- Performed via open technique by a United States Board Certified Plastic Surgeon under general anesthesia.
- The reconstructive stage is performed approximately four weeks after the first two stages are completed.
Since the Silicone Removal Center opened in 2018, we’ve seen hundreds of women get their lives back. Patients have been restored to physical health, restored to an aesthetically pleasing shape, and have the mental burden of this condition lifted from them. As more and more women are treated, more are willing to share their stories- making room for others to do the same.
If you’ve been injected by a foreign substance, you are not alone and you deserve treatment.
- Are you suffering from any of the following?
- Infection, fluid, or bleeding from the injected sites
- Skin discoloration of the sites or adjacent sites
- Hard lumps or bumps around the injected sites
- Pain, numbness, or tingling in the buttocks, back, legs
- Difficulty sitting, standing, or exercising due to pain
Click here to get started with your complimentary consultation (virtual or in-person)
Un-insured or under-insured? Click here to learn more about our insurance requirements
Not from the New York area? Learn more about our virtual and fly-in programs